Wednesday 30 July 2014

Students' horrible reaction to Saltwater Girl magazine's bringing our their very last issue

FIRST, MY REACTION

Earlier I wrote about about the magazine that inspired me to try and change the world by going into media. In July 2013 they closed their doors. 


Jill Greenberg'S work captures how I feel about
 Saltwater Girl closing.

Yesterday Saltwater Girl made the announcement on their Facebook page that they would be reopening temporarily to bring out a final issue. 





Jill Greenberg's monkey portrait describes how
I feel about Saltwater Girl bringing out another issue! 


The funny thing is, they never even mentioned closing down anywhere before. Just a silent disappearance. 


STUDENTS REACTION

I took to the streets of Stellenbosch to find out what the girls in my area thought of Saltwater Girl closing down and bringing out another, but "collectors" issue. The most horrible part: they didn't even know.

Nicola Erasmus, Annieka Mostert and Jamie Gellatty are
shocked finding out that Saltwater Girl is closing down.
Nicola Erasmus, Annieka Mostert and Jamie Gellatty use to read Saltwater Girl when they were younger, but started reading other titled when they left high school. They feel like the last issue is a good thing for young teens.
"I use to love Saltwater Girl. I subscribed to it.I couldn't wait for the next issue." says Nicola. 

Tshidi Green and Noluvo Vee Ntsanguzi were also clueless
about the magazine closing and the coming of the last issue.
Upon hearing that the magazine was closing, Noluvo Vee Ntsanguzi said she would definitely buy it, but that she felt she was not a surfer nor the outdoorsy type Saltwater Girl caters for. 

Jaycee Kimberley and Patience Jonas didn't know about the last "collectors" mag.

Jaycee says she would purchase the issue if Saltwater Girl invested in more promotion to make her aware of the mag and if it had more student-orientated content. Her buddy, Patience, agrees.

"When you see it on the shelves it seems very childish," she says. Patience adds that she would buy the last issue if it was affordable, as she believes most magazines are too pricey these days. 



Jaycee Kimberley, Melissa Plaatjie, Patience Jonas and Marshca Vraagom are either shocked to find out about Saltwater Girl's existence or that they will be shutting it's doors.

Philippa Dietman feels a bit sad. Stephanie van Zyl is just stunned she didn't realise the mag
she never read had disappeared.








Philippa Dietman says she bought the mag when she was "young and into it", but she wouldn't buy it now that she's all grown up. 

Rachel Giles thinks the collectors issue is a rad idea. "It was such a big part of my childhood," she says. 


A real goodbye

I am really happy Saltwater Girl returned for a decent goodbye. Maybe after the publication of the last issue, I might find a different reaction. One I was looking for, for my beloved Saltwater Girl. Tears, buckets full of tears.

For the time being me and my friends will make a scene of our own about it.  




SWG REACTION

Saltwater Girl reacted to this article with a pretty glimmer of hope.

MY REACTION TO SWG'S REACTION

Please, please let it be a glass half full...
Thank's Jill Greenberg for bearing with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment